Sub-committee to align Drugs And Cosmetics, Magical Remedies Act to regulate Medical Advertisements: CDSCO Committee
New Delhi: The Drug Consultative Committee (DCC), functional under the apex drug regulatory body, Central Drug Standard Control Organisation (CDSCO) has recently recommended to for constituting a sub-committee to regulate advertisements for treatment of aliments under Schedule J of the Drugs and Cosmetics Rules, 1945 and aliments under Magic Remedies (Objectional Advertisements) Act, 1954 and Rules 1955.
The Schedule J of the Drugs and Cosmetics Rules, 1945 of India contains a list of diseases and ailments which a drug may not claim to prevent or cure. The list includes ailments like AIDS, Diabetes, Cancer, Hernia, Deafness, Asthma, Change of Foetal Sex, Jaundice as others.
The CDSCO Committee was apprised that the sub-committee constituted for the purpose under the chairmanship of Shri. H. Mahapatra, Former Drugs controller, Odisha has submitted following recommendations:
Part A: To amend the Drugs and Cosmetics Rule, 1945, as under:
- Amendment in Rule 106 and addition of Rule 106C in part IX of Drugs and Cosmetics Rules, 1945
- Amendment in Rule 74, 74A, 74B, 78, 78A (all are in part VII), 85H (in part VIIA) and 157 (in part XVI) of Drugs and Cosmetics Rules, 1945.
- Inclusion of definition of Advertisement in the Drugs and Cosmetics Rules, 1945.
- The sub-committee also proposed that some disease, disorder or conditions from Schedule J of Drugs and Cosmetics Rules, 1945 are required to be deleted/added to align it with Schedule of DMROA.
Part B: To amend the Drugs and Magic Remedies (Objectionable Advertisements) Rules 1955 as under:
- To include the following definitions in Rule 2 of DMROA Rules
Definitions of Ayurvedic medicines, Homoeopathic Medicines, Phytopharmaceutical drug, registered medical practitioner, Registered Homeopathic medical practitioner, Patent or proprietary medicine,
Schedule and Medicine in DMROA Rules.
The sub-committee has also recommended for certain amendments in the DMROA Act, 1954.
After detailed deliberation, CDSCO committee recommended for constituting a sub-committee to examine the recommendations in details for further action to bring alignment between the Drugs and Cosmetics Rules, 1945 and the DMROA Act and Rules in this regard.