India, Malaysia sign agreement on traditional systems of medicine
New Delhi: The Minister of State (Independent Charge) for AYUSH, Shri Shripad Yesso Naik in a written reply to a question in Rajya Sabha has said that the Government of India and the Government of Malaysia have signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) on cooperation in the field of Traditional Systems of Medicine on 27th October 2010.
The salient features of the MoU are as follows:
- Cooperation for the promotion of traditional medicine including the regulation for teaching, practice, drugs and drugless therapies of Traditional Systems of Medicine.
- Exchanging experts for training of practitioners, paramedics, scientists, teachers and students in Traditional Systems of Medicine.
- Accommodating interested practitioners, paramedics and students in institutions for educational and training programmes on Traditional Medicine
- Mutual recognition of Ayurveda, Unani, Siddha, Pharmacopeia of Indian and the Malaysian Herbal Pharmacopoeia
- Setting up of Academic Chairs on Traditional Systems of Medicine.
As per Section 24(1) of Traditional & Complimentary Medicine (T&CM) Act 2016 of Govt. of Malaysia, a person who is registered as a practitioner outside Malaysia can temporarily register with T&CM Council of Malaysia subject to conditions and restrictions of the Council.